The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team scored a 4-3 win over Georgia State at McCallie’s Strang-Voges Tennis Center today. The Mocs won four singles matches to improve to 6-1 overall, while the Panthers fell to 2-6.
Georgia State opened by taking the doubles point in three, fiercely contests matches that each took 12 games to decide. Junior Emma Van Hee and sophomore Caroline Gibbens opened with a 7-5 win over Eva Chivu and Maddy Frediani. Georgia State took the other two matches 7-5.
Freshman Jessie Young tied the match with a (6-2, 6-3) win over Chivu at No. 1. Gibbens followed that with a (6-4, 6-4) win over Frediani at No. 6. Van Hee gave the Mocs a 3-1 lead with her (6-4, 6-4) win over Angel Carney at No. 2.
Freshman Callie Billman clinched the team win with a three-set victory over Alexia Alvarez at No. 5. The Panthers rounded out the scoring with wins in the last two matches.
The Mocs are set to host Troy tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. (E.S.T.). Location will be determined in the morning at either McCallie or the UTC Tennis Center. Live scoring will not be available for tomorrow’s action.
Chattanooga 4, Georgia State 3
2/27/2021 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Strang-Voges Tennis Center)
1. Emma Van Hee/Caroline Gibbens (UTC) def. Eva Chivu/Maddy Frediani (GSUW) 7-5
2. Alexia Alvarez/Angel Carney (GSUW) def. Bogdana Zaporozhets/Jessie Young (UTC) 7-5
3. Andreea Stanescu/Ellie Aldrich (GSUW) def. Callie Billman/Wilma Berqgvist (UTC) 7-5
1. Jessie Young (UTC) def. Eva Chivu (GSUW) 6-2, 6-3
2. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Angel Carney (GSUW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Andreea Stanescu (GSUW) def. Polina Goloputova (UTC) 6-2, 7-5
4. Ellie Aldrich (GSUW) def. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 4-6, 6-2, 2-3, retired
5. Callie Billman (UTC) def. Alexia Alvarez (GSUW) 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Caroline Gibbens (UTC) def. Maddy Frediani (GSUW) 6-4, 6-4