The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team scored a 4-3 win at Mercer to open Southern Conference action in Macon, Ga., today. The Mocs snapped a three-match losing streak to improve to 8-4 overall and 1-0 in league play. The Bears fell to 5-5 overall and 0-2 in SoCon action.
The opening doubles point was a battle, with each winner needing seven games to take their bout. Mercer opened with a 7-5 win at No. 3 doubles, but the Mocs responded when junior Bogdana Zaporozhets and freshman Jessie Young scored a 7-5 win over Lauren Rich and Alara Hollyfield at No. 2.
Junior Emma Van Hee and sophomore Caroline Gibbens clinched the point with their win at No. 1. They defeated Maeva Roquebert and Mary Courville [7-6 (5)] in a tiebreaker.
Mercer tied up the scored with a win at No. 6 singles. UTC responded by taking the next three matches to lock up the team win.
Sophomore Polina Goloputova defeated Courville in three sets (7-5, 1-6, 6-1) at No. 3. Gibbens added to the lead with a (6-4, 6-3) win over Lekha Varudandi at No. 5. Junior Emma Van Hee clinched the team win with a (6-2, 7-5) win at No. 2 over Alara Hollyfield.
Chattanooga 4, Mercer University 3
3/19/2021 at Macon, Ga. (LeRoy Peddy Tennis Center)
1. Emma Van Hee/Caroline Gibbens (UTC) def. Maeva Roquebert/Mary Courville (MER) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Bogdana Zaporozhets/Jessie Young (UTC) def. Lauren Rich/Alara Hollyfield (MER) 7-5
3. Lekha Varudandi/Kristin Yordanova (MER) def. Callie Billman/Wilma Bergqvist (UTC) 7-5
1. Maeva Roquebert (MER) def. Jessie Young (UTC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Alara Hollyfield (MER) 6-2, 7-5
3. Polina Goloputova (UTC) def. Mary Courville (MER) 7-5, 1-6, 6-1
4. Lauren Rich (MER) def. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
5. Caroline Gibbens (UTC) def. Lekha Varudandi (MER) 6-4, 6-3
6. Kristin Yordanova (MER) def. Lilly Holmes (UTC) 6-3, 6-1