The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team scored a 5-2 win over Lee University at the UTC Tennis Center today. The Mocs snapped a two-match slide to improved to 5-7 overall while the Flames saw their record evened at 6-6.
“In many ways we were fortunate to win this match,” stated UTC head coach Chuck Merzbacher. “I thought Lee played and competed very well, but we had some solid, tough wins. We had guys step up and take charge of their court and we needed that today.”
The Mocs took the opening doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2. Senior Turner Voges and sophomore Simon Labbe were first off with a 6-1 win over Jesus Garcia and Cristian Pons at No. 2. It was their fourth win in a row as they moved to 7-2 in the second spot this spring.
Junior Tomas Rodriguez and freshman Peyton Gatti clinched the point with a 6-4 win at No. 1 over Bruno Medeiros and Antonio Pons. That snapped a two-match slide for the UTC pair as they evened their overall doubles tally at 8-8 this season.
UTC jumped out to a 3-0 lead by taking the first two singles matches. Labbe defeated Jordi Dasi (6-1, 6-4) at No. 4, followed by Hyatt’s eighth win in a row at No. 3. He beat Pons in three sets (2-6, 6-2, 6-3).
Lee closed the gap with wins at No. 6 and No. 5. They were in three-set battles in the last two matches. The Mocs were able to secure the win by taking the last two matches, beginning with Rodriguez’s win over Garcia (3-6, 6-3, 6-4). Voges capped off the day with a three-set win over Nico Ramirez at No. 2 [7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (9-7)].
Up next for the Mocs are a pair of Southern Conference home matches this weekend. UTC hosts Wofford on Saturday, March 27, and Furman on Sunday, March 28. Both matches start at 12:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) at the UTC Tennis Center.
Chattanooga 5, Lee University 2
3/24/2021 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Center)
1. Tomas Rodriguez/Peyton Gatti (UTC) def. Bruno Medeiros/Antonio Pons (LEE) 6-4
2. Turner Voges/Simon Labbe (UTC) def. Jesus Garcia/Cristian Pons (LEE) 6-1
3. Kerim Hyatt/Jeffrey Dewald (UTC) def. Daniel Prata/Jordi Dasi (LEE) 5-4
1. Tomas Rodriguez (UTC) def. Jesus Garcia (LEE) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Turner Voges (UTC) def. Nico Ramirez (LEE) 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (9-7)
3. Kerim Hyatt (UTC) def. Cristian Pons (LEE) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Simon Labbe (UTC) def. Jordi Dasi (LEE) 6-1, 6-4
5. Antonio Pons (LEE) def. Jeffrey Dewald (UTC) 7-5, 2-6, 2-1, retired
6. Diego Garcia (LEE) def. Peyton Gatti (UTC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1